Monday, January 10, 2011

Humble Beginnings

My husband and I began our marriage in a rather unconventional way. The day after we returned from our honeymoon we packed up our cars and moved to camp. God had called us to work with teenagers for the summer, to love on them, teach them truth, and serve alongside them as they came to camp two weeks at a time. Our home for that summer was pretty swanky by camp standards. It had a kitchen, a queen size bed, and we even had our own shower. We didn't have to walk outside to a bath-house and had a little more privacy than most of the summer staff. However, compared to what I always imagined my first married house to be, our little fifth-wheel trailer was a bit of a let down. I almost cried the night we first moved in, but over the course of the summer, our little shady spot in "Maple Grove" became home.

This particular camp has become one of my favorite places on the planet. God works so mightily there and I love connecting with him through his creation in ways that aren't as easy in the city. This past weekend we got to go back home. We took 70 high school students and leaders to camp for a weekend retreat. And we saw the Spirit move big time. There was a great speaker, wonderful times of worship, meaningful small group conversations, and lives were changed. We're praying that the Spirit continues to move in the lives of our students now that we've returned to reality and that the commitments they made will be lasting.

Hubby and I visiting our first home this past weekend.


Gifts of grace that I'm counting this week...
65. a day of rest and worship

66. baby movements while Daddy was talking to my tummy
67. a weekend at "home"
68. lunch with our mentors/friends
69. vulnerability of our students
70. knowing we can't fix their lives and turning to the one who can
71. sleep in my own bed
72. popcorn for dinner
73. a sassy new haircut
74. the dish fairy and her light hanging husband (aka my mom and dad)
75. the anticipation of seeing inside my belly (tomorrow!)
76. hopes to one day see our little one encounter God at camp


2 comments:

  1. That is the sweetest story, and the photo of the two of you by your first home is PRICELESS!

    Blessings to you!
    Melanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that story! nicley written! First homes make you realize how far you have come...:) Hi, Im Meme from Screaming Meme. I wanted to stop in and let you know about my giveaway series. This week is a slipcover...next week is a surprise...:) I hope you can stop in and sign up for oneof them...I look forward to your visit.

    Xo, Meme

    ReplyDelete